Thursday, April 21, 2011

Awkward Workout

First thing--Happy Birthday to my awesome 8WW workout partner, Jennifer! Keep up the awesome work lady! 

I am writing today's blog just so I can remember this event for the rest of my life (or as long as this blog is around). I've mentioned that I traveled last weekend to Cedar Rapids and stayed in a hotel with a fitness center. I don't think I explained how awkward of an experience it was, though. 

So it's about 8:45 on a Saturday night in Iowa City. It seems funny that not too long ago we spent Saturday nights doing just the opposite of working out--going out on the town and eating cheap, greasy college pizza. Anyway, I got to the hotel fitness center and was about 8 minutes into my workout when 5 kids entered the room. They weren't speaking English so it's hard to know what they were saying, but I knew by the way they were staring at me in the mirror that I was their subject of attention. They were laughing and pointing at my shoes (which are quite bright) and at my red face. It was pretty awkward but I made it through the workout. 

Then I decided to get changed and sit in the hot tub for awhile. About 48 seconds into my relaxing soak, I was joined by approximately 200 middle school girls who were all super skinny and LOUD. It seems that they were trying to figure out which of the middle school boys in the pool should be their next boyfriends. I always find these conversations interesting given my previous life as a pre-adolescent teacher. I made it for 10 minutes in the hot tub before returning to my room.  

Since I try to post something that will be beneficial to other 8WW participants, I thought I would post what I bought for groceries today. Maybe something will sound good or trigger an idea for you!
Trader Joe's
  • 96% Lean Hamburger (only 5g of fat per quarter pounder)
  • Precooked Chicken Patties
  • Chicken Tenders (for our boys when we have a salad for dinner--they don't like lettuce yet but hopefully soon!) Also, these are not for 8WW.
  • Two large packages of cherry tomatoes--this is my "snack". I eat LOTS of tomatoes.
  • Teriyaki Beef Jerky
  • Low Fat String Cheese
  • 97% Fat Free Hot Dogs by Hebrew National (I can't remember the last time I bought hot dogs...)
  • MahiMahi
  • Frozen Steelcut Oatmeal
  • Cinamon Raisin English Muffins
I should also note that we do eat lots of organic fruit and vegetables, but we get them delivered each week from Prudent Produce in Ankeny.

1 comment:

  1. I love Trader Joe's! have you ever tried edamame? they are full of protein and really good...my boys love them!

    also, thanks for mentioning Prudent Produce, we got our first delivery last week and love it so far!

    ReplyDelete