Thursday, April 14, 2011

Carb Counting College

If someone offered a degree in professional label reading, I would easily be the President of that college. For years I've watched the ingredient list to make sure that I didn't serve anything that Wes was allergic to. (He won't let me forget the ONE time I accidentally made Campbell's chicken noodle soup with egg noodles...). I also read labels to make sure that the items don't contain any High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Oils, Sodium Nitrites, or Artificial Sweeteners. 

As if that wasn't enough...

I now read the fats, carbohydrates, and proteins to make sure I am still within my 8WW limits. It has become a game to see how I can get a grain and fruit in the same meal but I usually give up quickly. I think one of the main courses in my Label Reading College would be the math course of carbohydrates. It's nice that you can subtract the fiber from the total carbs to lower your net carbs into a reasonable level, but keep in mind that you can only do that math if it is the right time of day for that carb, AND there needs to be at least 4 grams of fiber in your carb choice. 

If you suggest that I could use a calculator to do all of the math, you are incorrect. After my workouts with Amy this week, I can barely press the keys of the computer to type this, let alone push any calculator buttons repeatedly all. I've been reassured that my level of discomfort is good and that it means my body is burning fat. I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment