Friday, April 8, 2011

My Dream About the Butter Cow

I am a farmer's daughter and grew up going to the Iowa State Fair. (If you haven't attending this event before then you definitely should. It's on the Top 100 Things to Do Before You Die list from some national magazine.)  I love going to the fair to see the baby cows, watch a horse show, show the animals to my kids, and listen to live music. The "locals" love to watch all the people that attend the fair just for the food and to see the famous butter cow. If you are unaware of the food choices at the fair, just imagine anything fattening you could put on a stick--everything from a pork chop to a deep fat fried Twinkie on a stick!

Last night I dreamed that I was at the fair for the food. I consumed Jr. Donuts, chocolate chip cookies from the Varied Industries building, and Dip-n-Dots. This is a big change from my normal pork burger and watermelon meal. I guess this is what carb deprivation does to people--makes them hallucinate about their most fattening food cravings! 

Today has been tough. I am tired and my muscles are a little achy. BUT I am sticking with the program and can't wait to have some fruit next week! Then it should be much easier (and MUCH tastier!) than this week. 

Now, if I only had some funnel-cake-on-a-stick...

1 comment:

  1. This post reminds me of one of the first things Darrin said after I turned in my resignation from teaching -- "Yes! Now we can go to the state fair on a weekday!" ;)

    Good luck on your quest!!! You've got more food discipline than I do!

    ReplyDelete