Thursday, April 7, 2011

Favorite Food Finds for Week 1

Four days down on Week 1! Here a few things that have helped me survive the first week so far. 

Ultrameal Shakes: Use the Blender Ball that comes with your bag! Add a few ice cubes and dilute it down with 10 ounces of water instead of 8 and it's actually quite tasty!

As far as food goes, veggies are pretty low on my list of "likes" but I still enjoy them daily. I usually like them loaded with cheese, but that is definitely not 8WW approved! Here's what I found to make them a little more tolerable this week.

Balsamic Veggies
Sliced or chopped vegetables (I used zucchini, summer squash, snow peas, & green pepper)
1 Tbsp (or less) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a quick spin around the pan)
1/4 cup water
2 Tsp (or more) of a seasoning salt
1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Cover and cook over medium low heat until vegetables are done.Drain the liquid and enjoy the vegetables!

Mexican Vegetables
Sliced or chopped vegetables (red pepper, green pepper, onions, zucchini, summer squash)
1 Tbsp of Southwestern Seasoning (We used Pampered Chef)
1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup of salsa
Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are done. 

Green Beans: One way our family likes green beans is cooked down in vinegar. It gives them a little kick. Use fresh, frozen, or canned (if you must) green beans and cook them in about 1/4 of vinegar without a lid until they are done and the vinegar is gone.

Cheese Sticks: I am a VERY picky cheese stick eater. I like Kraft Cheese Sticks but they have 6 grams of fat in them. Today I found Trader Joe's Light Cheese sticks with only 2.5 grams of fat and the same amount of protein. AND I love them! (I've secretly hidden them in the frig where Ben & Wes won't find them!)

Fish: My favorite fish so far is the brand Henry & Lisa's Natural Seafood which I found in the Target frozen food section. (In the back by the healthy frozen food.) We tried the Wild S. American Mahimahi with a Caribbean Marinade. This was wonderful! It only has 1 gram of fat per serving (two servings per box) and lots of flavor.  I marinaded it for about an hour and then broiled it. So good! 

Tomatoes: I think I've eaten tomatoes at every single meal this week. (No joke!) I like the small cherry tomatoes the best and I picked up a big box of them at Trader Joe's today. Good for snacking on while I'm cooking dinner. 

Eggs: I've eaten them hardboiled, in the egg/sausage muffins from the manual, and scrambled without milk. If you chop up a hardboiled egg, add some mustard and a little pickle juice, it almost tastes like egg salad.







No comments:

Post a Comment