Sunday, April 10, 2011

I Ate an Ostrich! (Or Part of Him)

We are blessed to have so many friends and family in the Des Moines area.  This also means that any given weekend, we are attending birthday parties, family events, sporting events, or just hanging out at someone's house. 

We had three birthday parties this weekend alone, and it made for some interesting dinner choices. Here's where we went and what I ordered that was "8WW approved":

Fuddrucker's
Ostrich burger (no bun) with a small spoonful of guacamole. 

This was pretty much the only option at Fuddruckers and it took me a very long time online to find their nutrition info.
**This was VERY tasty and super healthy (according the wonderful websites I found. It had 4.5 grams of fat and tasted just like a hamburger.) Fuddruckers also has a condiment bar where I passed up the vat of cheese I could literally pump onto my plate ,and opted for lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, and a few pickles. Did you know that one small hamburger at Fuddruckers has OVER 30 GRAMS OF FAT??!?! 

Arby's
Roasted Chicken Salad with Light Italian--no bacon or cheese

**This was probably my favorite meal this weekend because of the dressing and because I ate with my goddaughter, Aubrey. It was a pretty large chopped salad with tomatoes & onions, and the dressing only has 1 gram of fat and 2 carbs. It is Marzetti's Light Italian and the only way to buy it is in bulk pouches from a food distributor. SO good though!

Old Chicago
I literally couldn't find any option from their nutrition menu online that could work with 8WW. I supposed I could have ordered a plain salad and brought my own dressing, but that sounded really boring. Did you know that some salads have OVER 1,000 CALORIES there?!?! And that two slices of deep dish pizza has OVER 80 GRAMS OF FAT?!?!  Some entrees had OVER 100 GRAMS OF FAT!!!!

So... we changed locations to 

Okoboji Sports Bar & Grill
Grilled Tilapia with steamed brocolli & a small side salad with Hidden Valley Light Ranch

This was a great dinner, too, for both the food and family. I felt full and healthy at the same time. I couldn't eat all of my fish because it was a little to salty for my taste, but a good meal. I liked that they printed the nutrition info in the menu so I was able to maximize my protein and fat that way.

Pancheros
(See the nutrition menu in our office)

Pancheros emailed me their nutrition information which they don't publish online or in their restaurants, but they really should. There are LOTS of healthy options with all of their fresh ingredients and great Mexican flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment