Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Heart Beeps

Part of the requirements for participating in the 8WW program is using a heart rate monitor during workouts. I just got mine this morning and WOW! It really made a difference. 

I was walking/jogging with Barkley this week and thought I was getting a pretty good workout. I was wrong. Amy gave me my list of "target heart rates" for various parts of my workout so I know how hard I should be working. It turns out that I have to jog to get my heart rate up high enough to be burning fat.

What I most surprised was how much further I could run while doing an 8WW-style cardio workout. If I just set out jogging from my house, I would be keeled over & panting like a dog two blocks away. With this workout, I ran at least DOUBLE what I normally can and it felt great! The only down-side is that the monitor beeps loudly whenever it gets too high, which makes the neighbors laugh as I come beeping down the street. Oh well! I won't leave home without it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment